Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Thoughts on Aaron Rodgers interview with Danica Patrick



  • Aaron was intrigued by Matt Hawk because he was a Christian, yet he swears and he loves and coaches sports. Makes me wonder what kind of Christians he had interaction with prior to meeting this guy. While cursing is not something I prefer to hear Christians (or anyone else for that matter) do, it is an imperfection that many Christians possess. As far as loving and coaching sports, if he thought that was out of bounds for Christians, no wonder he has struggled with faith as it was portrayed to him.
  • I love how he sees his mission trips as "really meaningful." But again, in light of how he perceived Christianity, I would love to know 2 things: ONE-What was your reason for going on these trips? TWO: How has this experience impacted your spirituality today?
  • I understand your not having connection with certain Christian groups, especially if your view of Christianity growing up was skewed. It is hard to separate what we learned about Christianity growing up and what Jesus really taught about how his followers should live. I appreciate your efforts to search out what it really means to be a spiritual being. 
  • I question your statement that "rules and regulations and binary systems don't really resonate with me." Sounds like your upbringing was at least somewhat legalistic, if not very strongly legalistic. I question if you really had a balanced view of Christianity. I also though, think it is dangerous to reject God because those things do not resonate with you. I can't get out of a ticket by telling an officer, "That speed limit really does not resonate with me."
  • If you look at Jesus, and you look at the church you went to on Sunday mornings, the two don't match up. Jesus did not reject the outcast, in fact, he rejected those who looked down on the outcast. Sounds like your Monday evenings were more in line with that than your church experience.
  • I agree with your distaste for a binary system like the one you described. But the picture of the the Christian in the Bible is not like what you experienced. You describe those who take pride in their position with God. The Bible speaks of approaching God with humility, with fear and trembling. We love God and we love others because of God's grace and love for us. We don't look down on anyone because of their sin. Anyone. 
  • Again, approaching God in humility goes along with your statement, "I don't know how you can believe in a god who wants to condemn most of the planet." In your view, it seems that God has created us just to destroy us. But perhaps rather than wonder why God does not save all, humility says "Why would He save any?" Look what we have done, how we have rejected Him and His righteousness. The fact that He would send Jesus to die for even one who would accept Him then takes on an amazing facet of grace.
  • You mention only 144,000 being saved. Is that what your church taught?
Aaron, I can resonate with some of your feelings. I have had a variety of church experiences, many of which have not been pleasant or representative of Jesus. But I pray that as you continue to dig into what truth is, you will be led to see that perhaps your current views about God and religion are not in line with what is taught by Jesus, his disciples, and the Bible.

No comments: