Monday, January 28, 2013

A little advice...

Galatians 5:25-26

25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

Last post talked about living by the Spirit. These two verses offer some interesting thoughts.

First, is that if we live by the Spirit, we will keep in step with the Spirit. At first, I think, "Well, duh!, isn't that obvious?" But then I think again. I am a child, and God is the Father. Can my children keep up with me if I don't sometimes slow down and wait? And that is a beautiful thought, that God my Father patiently watches me, and waits for me was I try to keep pace with Him.

Another thought over this same idea is that of a runner training for a race. If I want to be successful, I have to push myself. Keeping in step with the Spirit is not always an easy task.

The second idea is found in verse 26. We are so human, and as such, we tend to take pride in our successes, even when we are not completely responsible for them. Don't believe me? Think of your favorite sports team, the one you have on your t-shirts and wall of you den and etc. Was was the last time you scored a basket (or field goal, or home run, depending on the sport) for them? Yet how do you feel when they are successful? So to combat our crazy pride in that which God has done for us, Paul offers the reminder to not become conceited. Conceit provokes. And don't envy. It's not about you.

No comments: