Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Time changes things

Galatians 4:12-16

Brothers, I entreat you, become as I am, for I also have become as you are. You did me no wrong. You know it was because of a bodily ailment that I preached the gospel to you at first, and though my condition was a trial to you, you did not scorn or despise me, but received me as an angel of God, as Christ Jesus.  What then has become of your blessedness? For I testify to you that, if possible, you would have gouged out your eyes and given them to me.  Have I then become your enemy by telling you the truth?

I believe that when Paul begs them to become as he is, he means it as someone who is in complete submission to and in love with God. He cannot imagine a better life, and desires the best for those who are his audience, and for all for that matter. Even though he is weak, even though he suffers in his body, his passion and zeal for Christ do not wane. He reminds them of his former visit, how even though a weak mess of a man, they regarded him as a brother, or even as Christ himself in the way that they treated him. They would have given anything to help him to further preach the message of Christ.

But now, has time changed that? Is he now an enemy because they have had time to reconsider? Or is it because of those who have distorted the gospel he preached with such passion and at such a cost? Has truth now become a stumbling block?

No comments: