Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Participation to Observation

From a previous post, I want to comment on the idea that...

Worship has changed from participation to observation.

I think for many people, worship is something that is done on Sunday morning, period. No wonder some look at heaven and want to put it off as long as possible. Ten thousand years of singing His praise, and still no less days than before. That really hits home as we count down to the end of the school year! Six more days, then we get a break! But ten thousand years and we still are no closer to the end!

But what if worship is more than Sunday morning? What if worship is what defines us and our relationship to God? What if worship is how I eat, work, talk, rest, play, and basically how I engage with every part of life? Then worship defines me and worship is a part of me. Then I don't just worry about the part(s) of my life I give to God, but I give it all to him. (This is one of the reasons I don't agree with the concept of the tithe, where we give 10% and keep 90%. Doesn't it all belong to Him?)

So worship is not something I do, it is part of who I am. Think of Paul, singing out praises in prison. Was it Sunday morning and time for worship, or was this just who Paul was? If you don't know, try reading some of his writings! "Rejoice in the Lord ALWAYS, again I say REJOICE!" I don't know how this can be done outside of worship, do you?

No comments: