Tuesday, March 10, 2020

More Questions Than Answers? Matthew 11:25-30

SCRIPTURE

Matthew 11:25-30 (ESV)
At that time Jesus declared, “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

LANGUAGE

Vs 25  hidden - conceal, keep secret
Vs 25  revealed - take off the cover (same again in Vs 27, "reveal")
Vs 26  gracious - satisfaction, delight, kindness
Vs 27  chooses - be willing, intend
Vs 28  labor - feel fatigue, to work hard
Vs 28  heavy laden - to overburden (with ceremony)
Vs 29  yoke - a coupling, the beam of balance (such as used when hitching two oxen together)
Vs 29  mild - humble
Vs 29  lowly - depressed, humiliated, cast down
Vs

COMMENT

This section brings up lots of questions, and challenges what I and many want to believe. I want to believe that the decision to follow God is my decision. I want to believe that I can understand and know the truth. But this section begins with the statement that these things are hidden from those who think they know, and even that this was a kindness from God. A kindness for who?

So back I go to the beatitudes. A kindness for the humble, the meek, the ones who hunger and thirst for righteousness. The children of God. So another question comes up, who are the little children? What qualifies one to be a child of God? The Pharisees and Sadducees were dedicated, giving their lives to the understanding of God. They memorized long passages of Scripture, they studied the law and knew every part of it. Yet for all of His ministry, these are portrayed as the very ones in opposition to Jesus. Did their wisdom and understanding bling them to the truth, or did God "hide" it from them? If so, how can they be accountable? Was God responding to their pride? I do not have the answers.

Jesus goes on to say, "no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. (Vs 27) So what does it mean that Jesus has to choose who God will be revealed to? Might this relate to the idea in Matthew 7, where Jesus tells some to depart from Him, because they never knew Him? Again, tough questions where I do not have the answers.

Then, in verse 28, He tells some to come to Him. Is this an invitation for everyone? According to the verse, it is an invitation for those who labor and are heavy laden. Is He perhaps speaking to those who, under the leadership of the Pharisees and scribes, have been put under a burden that no one could carry? Similar to today, those who by well-meaning but misguided preachers, are told more about how to be a good Christian than why? Who preach living to such a high standard of holiness, but seldom mention the reason we should strive for holiness? Who preach actions but not the beauty of the Savior who should be the basis for those actions?

Verse 29 tells us to take His yoke, to learn from Him. Not the yoke of the Pharisees, scribes, or even today's legalistic preachers. His yoke. For he is humble and lowly in heart, and therein lies rest. (Again, this reminds me of what He taught in the beatitudes.) For His yoke is better. I much prefer the use of the word better than easy. I do not think Jesus ever taught that being a disciple would be easy. Better, yes. Better in many ways. Better in helping us to deal with the challenges of life, better for our eternal souls, better in offering peace and true joy, even in the midst of suffering. And his burden is light. Not a list of 1,000,000 do's and don'ts. Just a couple of things to remember: Love God and your neighbor. That I can do. Not perfectly, but offering me perfection is why Jesus came in the first place, that part of the burden is on His side of the yoke.

No comments: