Friday, April 20, 2012

Reality verse Fantasy

I am teaching 6th grade this year, and this week our story deals with fantasy verses reality. The story is Don Quixote and the Windmills, where the main character assumes the identity of Don Quixote, and attacks some windmills which he says are giants. When faced with the reality that they are windmills, he simply states that a wizard has turned then into windmills. I think this character would make a great modern theologian.

I have been struggling with the idea lately of what was Jesus really like, and what would he say to us if he showed up today.

Let's begin with the fantasy Jesus. He is the one that most people believe in today. The one who wants everyone to be happy and content, who wants to cure all of our sicknesses, who wants us all to get along, who loves everything that is Christian, and who hates all that is secular.

Now compare that with the reality. Sound like a topic for a series of posts to me. This could get sticky. But it also could reveal some things that need to be talked about.

Stay tuned...

2 comments:

kc bob said...

I suspect most of us would not be in Jesus' circles. He'd probably hang out with those less fortunate to us.

Hope things are well with you Don. I have been on a blogging sabbatical and am glad to be reading your blog again.

Blessings, Bob

Don G said...

Glad to see you back, although I am sure the sabbatical was nice. So often I find it hard to keep up, but then I realise, the only one making me keep up is me!

Shalom!