Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Galatians 2:11-14

But when Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned. For before certain men came from James, he was eating with the Gentiles; but when they came he drew back and separated himself, fearing the circumcision party. And the rest of the Jews acted hypocritically along with him, so that even Barnabas was led astray by their hypocrisy. But when I saw that their conduct was not in step with the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas before them all, “If you, though a Jew, live like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how can you force the Gentiles to live like Jews?”

Paul was definitely his own person, or God's person, depending on how you look at it. Jesus had spent years with Peter, and it sure seemed to be a long, slow process of growth. And here is Peter again, letting his reactions get the better of him.

I think back to the day of Pentecost, and the boldness of Peter. It kinda puts Peter in a place where I just picture that he is on track now, and not gonna ever blow it again. I guess I can see where the Catholics get it. But Peter was still human. Why should he be any different than anyone else? than me?

I guess Peter was not perfect after all. And Paul called him on it. Not that Paul was perfect, but he had an understanding of truth that went beyond what might be considered normal, and he was not afraid to address what must have been an awkward situation in a righteous manner.

The Bible does not say, but I like to think that Peter handled it in an appropriate manner. I like to think that he recognized his error and took Paul's criticism in stride. But then again, he was Peter...

3 comments:

kc bob said...

I sometimes wonder what it would have been like if Paul would have been on of the original 12. Both he and Peter were very opinionated. It would have been interesting watching the two of them around Jesus.

Don G said...

I agree. I wonder if Paul could have put his pride behind him if he had met Jesus under "normal" circumstance. Hope your Christmas was a good one!

kc bob said...

Thanks Don! We much enjoyed our time with the kids and grands. Hope yours was a good one too!