Saturday, December 1, 2012

Job's First and Second Responses

So Job has listened to God tell him how little he is compared to an infinite God. And Job responds by telling him that he (Job) is of small account, and that he will shut up and listen now. I find that to be a good response. Perhaps my wording is a little harsher than the Bible's, but I think that is how Job took it. I think the translations tend to water things down a bit.

Can Job catch God with his little games the same way he sparred with his friends? That would be like trying to catch a dinosaur with a stone, or catch a whale with a fish hook. Ain't gonna happen.

So Job responds again, a little differently this time. Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge? Oh yeah, it is me, Job. I was saying what I did not understand. I think that now I am ready to listen. Not only am I ready to listen, but I get it now. I don't just hear, I see. And because I see, I repent.

In Job's first response, he is humble. In his second response, he is humiliated. I know that some will think that is harsh, but I believe it. At first, Job expresses his place before God, yet God continues to show him his place. Perhaps like the man that Jesus healed, who at first saw people but they looked like trees walking, he needed some more convincing. (Mark 8:22-26)

Job saw clearly, and he was humbled enough to repent. He went so far as to say that he despised himself.

So now God turns to his friends. He rebukes them and then has Job pray for them, saying he will accept Job's prayer. He forgives them and restores Job's fortunes. His His brothers and sisters came and ate with him, and comforted him for all that the Lord had brought upon him.


I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear,
    but now my eye sees you;
therefore I despise myself,
    and repent[a] in dust and ashes.”

No comments: