Wednesday, June 24, 2020

God's Choice? (Romans 9:6-13)

SCRIPTURE

Romans 9:6-13
But it is not as though the word of God has failed. For not all who are descended from Israel belong to Israel, and not all are children of Abraham because they are his offspring, but “Through Isaac shall your offspring be named.” This means that it is not the children of the flesh who are the children of God, but the children of the promise are counted as offspring. For this is what the promise said: “About this time next year I will return, and Sarah shall have a son.” And not only so, but also when Rebekah had conceived children by one man, our forefather Isaac, though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad—in order that God's purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of him who calls— she was told, “The older will serve the younger.” As it is written, “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”


COMMENT

There is a lot of disagreement as to how Romans 9 should be interpreted. I myself have my thoughts, which may or may not be correct. But I think the real question is, are we willing to accept whatever the answer is"

I recall listening to a preacher tell about a child who was ill. I don't remember all fo the details, but the child died. The preacher made the statement, "God did not do that. I could not worship a God who would kill a baby." While I do not relish the idea of a baby dying, that is not where I draw the line of my faith. I am not God, and I cannot put myself in His place. I will not draw a line that says "I will not worship a God who..."

I recall a story from the Old Testament. David had sinned, and as a result his son would die. David fasted and prayed, but the child died. What did David do? Those around him were afraid, for they saw how David responded while the child was still alive. But here is what David did, he worshiped God. (See 2 Samuel 12) Apparently, David did not place limits on what God could do.

As I said earlier, Romans 9 is a controversial chapter. Does God elect those who are saved, or do we have a choice in salvation? Would I say that if I am wrong, I could not worship such a God. Short answer: No.


No comments: