Thursday, June 25, 2020

Is God Unjust? (Romans 9:14-18)

SCRIPTURE

Romans 9:14-18
What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy. For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.

COMMENT

I think saving faith in God is more than just the belief that He exists. Even the demons believe, and shudder! (James 2:19) No, the kind of faith that saves us also goes to the character of God and our willingness to put ourselves in His hands no matter the circumstance. (See Philippians 4:11,12) So we don't understand why children have to die, why I lost my job, why a friend or relative died of cancer. I do not let that shake my belief that God is in control and has all things in His hands, and that in the ultimate end, he does work all things for good for those who love him and are called according to His purpose.

What if Calvin was (mostly) right? What if Arminius was (mostly) right? What if they were both wrong? What if you get to heaven, and grandma is not there, like the preacher at her funeral said she would be? Do you want to leave now? One of the things that I find ironic is people who do not believe in God because He does not do things the way they would do things. That is like when the 5 year old screams and says, "I do not love you!" because he has to eat beans instead of ice cream with his meal.

Faith, love, and trust all go hand in hand. To follow Jesus is not only to believe that He exists, but also to love and trust Him. Are you willing to let Him lead, and follow wherever He takes you? God is not unjust, but sometimes we might not be able to comprehend His justice. That does not make Him wrong, it makes us wrong. Like the 5 year old.

No comments: