Saturday, June 27, 2020

Why Am I Guilty? (Romans 9:19-24)

SCRIPTURE

Romans 9:19-24
You will say to me then, “Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?” But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me like this?” Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use? What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory— even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles? 

COMMENT

Perspective is everything when it comes to understanding and to faith. Do we see things from our eyes, or do we try to look at things through the eyes of God. Of course, it is impossible for us to look at things the way that God does, and that it where humility comes in. Sometimes, I just have to admit that I can't do it, or I don't understand, and I just accept.

I believe it is the movie Commando, where Arnold is holding a person over a cliff, questions him, then lets go of his leg. He falls to sure death. When asked later, what he did to that person, he responds, "I let him go." The person thinks that Arnold has freed him with no harm. Arnold knows differently. Did Arnold lie? No. But the other person's perception led them to a different truth.

Who are we to even question God? We are less that ants in the universe. We are clay in the hands of the potter. Legos in the hands of a child. I played with Legos as a child and beyond. Made some pretty cool stuff in my opinion. Then, took it apart and made other things. How could I do that? How could I take apart what I had made, what I liked, what I had put time into? Easy, I wanted to be able to make other cool stuff later. They were my Legos, and they could not question my choices.

Do you know the story of Hosea? Asked to marry a woman of unfaithfulness (some would say a prostitute). God's plan. Hosea obeyed. That's all God asks, trust and obey.


No comments: