Monday, August 5, 2019

Aren't You Missing the Point?

One of my problems with the institutional church, at least the ones that I have been to, is that they are missing the point, the gospel.

I was listening to a sermon from a large, nearby church. One that my children are involved with in the Youth programs. It was a missionary speaker, and he was telling stories about some of his experiences with the people of Tanzania. He spoke of having to eat really rare meat, eating honey with all of the components (like the comb, larva, and bee parts) not filtered out by the bowlful, and about their hospitality when housing visitors.

In housing visitors, he spoke of how this people liked to give their guests the best of their accommodations, even when their best is somewhat meager. He spoke of how in Tanzania and other African cultures as well, putting others first is just a part of their culture. Not that this is everywhere in Africa or even Tanzania, but it is evident among many there. He then spoke of how he is in a season of transition as he is taking a new role in ministry. He asked the questions, "What will you do with your opportunities? What will you do with your resources? What will you do with the relationships that God blesses you with? How will you serve?"

These are great questions! But it is how we answer these questions that determines how successful we will be at honoring the God we serve. He even narrows that question down as he wraps up his talk. Since the verse he was focused on is Matthew 7:13-14, he asks, "How do I stay on the narrow path?" I thought, he is getting to the meat now, what an opportunity to present the gospel. But no. Nothing. Just a challenge to serve better, mentor better. Recommit yourself to God. Do more. Try harder.

I think if I were an average pew-sitter, I might be leaving here with a few questions. Like, "If these people were already basically good people who followed Jesus's teaching (even though they did not necessarily know Jesus himself) and put others first, why send missionaries to them?" Or, "How am I going to do this?" I already struggle with just doing what I do and being who I am. I don't know how to do any better. Nice stories though." Or maybe I would just smile, say amen, and start looking for my car keys.

Maybe he could have told us that even though these were basically good people, that still was not enough. Maybe he could have told us how he shared the gospel message with them, showing them that while their hospitality was appreciated, there was still something missing in relation to God.

The gospel is not "Try better, do more, don't give up." The gospel is, "Jesus has done it. Relax. The burden now is light." Not that your good deeds are in vain, but that your good deeds are now a response to the glory and mercy of God. Anyone can try harder, and many do. But on the narrow road, the lives that we now live we live for God. We have seen his glory, and our response is to love Him and others in a powerful way.


No comments: