Sunday, August 4, 2019

Keith Green - Oh Lord, You're Beautiful



In my last post, I noted that I would start looking at some of the music that touches my soul, but a little more critically, since I believe that doctrine is important. I chose this song, because it goes back to the beginnings of my connection with CCM (Contemporary Christian Music). Kind of shows my age, as this song was released in 1980. I was in college (a Christian college), and had only been a believer about 4 years.

At this time, Keith Green was a phenomenon. Everyone on campus seemed to love him and his music. His story and the way that he was portrayed as living what he believed was amazing. His death in 1982, while I was still in college, was quite a shock and honestly even a test of faith to some extent. I mean, if God would take him, a man with such talent and potential, that brings up so many questions about how I thought things should work in the world of faith.

Lyrics are bolded, my comments are in blue.

Oh Lord, you're beautiful,
Your face is all I see,
For when your eyes are on this child,
Your grace abounds to me

These words still touch me, and melt m heart. God is beautiful, and I need to be melted by that beauty in to a deep and reverent love for Him. I need to hear this daily.
Oh Lord, you're beautiful,
Your face is all I see,
For when your eyes are on this child
Your grace abounds to me
I want to take your word and shine it all around
So powerful. My deeds are not a offering that I give to earn God's favor, but are the response of seeing His beauty.
But first help me to just, live it Lord
I am just a little perplexed at what he is asking hear, but I love the humility of the question. Let my response be worthy somehow.
And when I'm doing well, help me to never seek a crown
For my reward is giving glory to you
Yes, the reward is not a pat on the back, or a "well done," for if that is what I am after, then I have come with the wrong motive and my efforts are in vain. My reward is the glory that God gets, and the joy I have found in giving Him that glory. Period. 
Oh Lord, please light the fire
That once burned bright and clean
Replace the lamp of my first love
That burns with holy fear
Seems like a bit of a struggle has taken place. But I love the openness and honesty. When those times come, and they do, turn to God and cry out for help. Isn't that what most of the Psalms are about?
I want to take your word and shine it all around
But first help me to just, live it Lord
And when I'm doing well, help me to never seek a crown
For my reward is giving glory to you
Oh Lord, you're beautiful
Your face is all I see
For when your eyes are on this child
Your grace abounds to me
Oh Lord, you're beautiful
Your face is all I see
For when your eyes are on
Source: LyricFind

Songwriters: Keith Gordon Green
Oh Lord You're Beautiful lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group, Capitol Christian Music Group
What a place to start. If I were to rate this song based on its impact as well as what it teaches I would have to give it a 10 out of 10. 

No comments: