Wednesday, August 21, 2019

The cure for sin

I am currently reading the book, Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges.


In chapter 3, Bridges talks about the destructive power of sin, and makes an analogy using cancer, something that has deeply affected his life. Chapter 4 is titles "The Remedy for Sin." If you think of sin as cancer, hearing that there is a remedy is surely a welcome relief. 

He speaks of John Newton, author of the well-known hymn, "Amazing Grace." Early in life, Newton was a slave trader. Eventually becoming a minister, Newton looks back to his life as a slave trader and of course, is horrified by it. Reminds me of the story of the Apostle Paul in some ways. 

Bridges writes, "Both John Newton and the apostle Paul saw themselves as great sinners, but with a great Savior." (Bridges, Jerry. Respectable Sins (pp. 23-24). NavPress. Kindle Edition.) While we might not have committed the same sins, any sin is enough to separate us from God, and with that knowledge, I pray that we too might see ourselves as great sinners in need of a Savior. Or as sick patients in need of a remedy.

I think we can safely make the assumption that both Newton and Paul progressed in their growth in the faith as time went on. One thing about this growth, it increased their knowledge of their sinfulness! Sadly, I am not sure that many of today's Christians or preaching shares this position. 

So what is the remedy for sin? It is the gospel. Not the one-time confession of faith or acceptance of Christ, but the daily knowledge that Christ died on the cross in our place. He suffered damnation in our place. And if there is a day that we do not recognize this, that is a day that we need to repent of. The Bible confirms this repeatedly. If not, then why all of the instruction about how Christians should live? Why would Paul have to encourage us to live as "living sacrifices" (Romans 12:1) or to "live a life worthy of the gospel" (Phil 1:27) unless there was an ongoing need to do so in the life of the believer?

It all brings me back to something God laid on my heart several years ago. Something obvious, but also something that had not fully penetrated by heart. Something that I still let go of when I do not remind myself of the gospel each and every day. And that is simply how beautiful God is. Why else would I become a living sacrifice to Him? Because I have seen His mercy. Because I have seen my sin, what it does to me, and believe that God through Jesus Christ has provided the remedy.

To quote Paul from Romans 11:33-36, just prior to his statement in Romans 12:1:

Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!
“For who has known the mind of the Lord,
or who has been his counselor?”
“Or who has given a gift to him
that he might be repaid?”
For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.



No comments: