Sunday, December 8, 2013

Flip a coin

Paul says our salvation "depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy" (Rom. 9:16).

Michael Horton. Christless Christianity: The Alternative Gospel of the American Church (p. 250). Kindle Edition.

"No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him" (John 6, v. 44).

Michael Horton. Christless Christianity: The Alternative Gospel of the American Church (p. 259). Kindle Edition.

These Scriptures seem pretty specific. And to be honest, downright scary. Because as I understand them, they mean that salvation is out of my hands, and I don't like that. I guess I prefer the formulas, the guarantees.

But then there are those Scriptures which seem to say the opposite. Philippians 2:12 comes to mind. "Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling." 
That sounds better, because now I am back in control.

But which is it? Am I in control or not? Perhaps I should just flip a coin. Or not.

Here is my take. Salvation completely depends on God. Not even 1% can be attributed to me, no works, no decision on my part, nothing. I know that many would disagree with me, and I am okay with that. I understand how hard it is to accept such thinking. And even for those who agree, there are many divergent paths from this point forward. Not time to discuss those now.

That being said, I don't know who God has chosen and who is not chosen. Therefore, since I am the instrument of God, I obey and carry the Gospel with obedience and great care. And one of the things that I must be careful of is not to get the big head, thinking more of myself than I ought just because God has chosen me. This is the God of the universe we speak of, and I am but a mist. I should never forget that.

No comments: