Monday, December 2, 2013

The fate of the church

The kingdom of God is something we are receiving, not something we are building (Heb. 12:28). The Lord of the church did not say, "Build my church"; he said that on the "rock" of the confession that Jesus is the Christ, "I will build my church, and the gates of hell will not prevail against it" (Matt. 16:18).

Michael Horton. Christless Christianity: The Alternative Gospel of the American Church (p. 233). Kindle Edition.

How wonderful to know that the fate of the church is in the hands of God, and not sorry sinners such as myself! I find so much peace in that thought.

2 comments:

Mike Erich the Mad Theologian said...

I totally agree with this. There is nothing so discouraging as taking the fate of the church or of the world on your own shoulders.

Don G said...

Yes, but yet so many seem so willing to take on the unnecessary burden!