Saturday, December 28, 2013

Here's the plan...

John 1

English Standard Version (ESV)

29 The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! 30 This is he of whom I said, ‘After me comes a man who ranks before me, because he was before me.’ 31 I myself did not know him, but for this purpose I came baptizing with water, that he might be revealed to Israel.” 32 And John bore witness: “I saw the Spirit descend from heaven like a dove, and it remained on him. 33 I myself did not know him, but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’ 34 And I have seen and have borne witness that this is the Son of God.”

Someone sent John to baptize. I can only imagine that to be God, with the message being delivered via an angel. He was sent to baptize and to prepare people for the coming Messiah. He was told how to recognize the Messiah, by the ascending of the Spirit in a form like a dove. And this John proclaims to be the Son of God. 

Thought for Today: As I look at the events in the life of Jesus, I see that God used obedient people (such as John and Mary, and also Paul comes to mind) to communicate who Jesus was and help to understand what His mission was. He still does that today, even though Satan does a good job of muddying the waters with many counterfeits. I want to be one of those people. I struggle with that at times because I struggle to know and understand what God wants from me. He has given me his grace, and I want to live in such a way that shows that to others. Not by eating locusts and wearing camel hair, although if that is what it takes, so be it. But more so just by knowing, understanding, and being able to communicate who Jesus is and what He has done for me.

No comments: