Monday, October 28, 2013

Daddy

Matt begins Chapter 6 by talking about his daughters. He speaks of a time when putting one of them to bed, he asked her, "Do you know why daddy loves you?" She couldn't find an answer, so he told her, "I love you because you are mine. God gave you to me." Then he brings it home. Isn’t it nice when someone’s love for you is not contingent upon what you do? Such is the love of God.

I think this is one of my favorite chapters in the book. Matt has a way of relating things that are just plain and simple. He goes on to talk about why, after knowing we are saved, we shouldn't take that for granted. God's love for us is great, but God Himself is great, and as such, we should desperately want to pursue Him. We should place all of our confidence in Him, because He does care for us.

It is a paradox that many struggle with, the idea of what it means to be a follower of Christ. The idea of our needing to prove our love is as ridiculous as my child needing to prove their love for me. And yet, there is an element of effort that is not only in Matt's book, but also in the book of Philippians, on which this book is based. How do we reconcile the two, grace and effort. I do it this way, I know that my effort does not in any way effect my grace. My successes cause Him to love me no greater, my failures no less. I just seek to embrace Him to the best of my ability. I just pursue Him because there is no greater one to pursue. I press on, because that is what those who have seen the glory of God do.

No comments: