Tuesday, October 15, 2013

What faith does for us...

Faith does not create, it receives. (Chapter 6)

A very simple statement, yet one with powerful implications. Let's look at the first part, that faith does not create. It is not my faith that determines if God exists, just like it is not my lack of faith that could make Him not exist. Whether or not God exists (or the flying spaghetti monster for that matter) is not created by my faith. Neither does my faith create other things. My faith does not create my salvation. According to the Bible, salvation is a gift from God.

Faith receives. I do not create God through faith, I receive Him through faith. Faith is the act that allows me to know Him, to experience Him, to have a glimpse at understanding Him. It is through faith that one receives salvation. It is not our actions that create our salvation. Yet to receive faith and salvation alters our actions. I believe this is why Jesus said that many “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’" (Matthew 7:21-23)

There are those who believe that their actions will create a reality of salvation for them. There are those who believe that if they do something, God owes them something in return. I believe they will face a very sad reality some day.

The words of this song come to mind. Hope it hits home for you like it does for me.

No comments: