Wednesday, October 17, 2012

This is what I deserve

Job has just endured the "advice" (verbal bashing) of another so-called friend. He is told that he is a fault for his problems, that God is punishing him, and if he will repent, God will restore his fortunes.

Job responds with an interesting (and certainly new) idea that no one can be righteous before God. We cannot contend with God, for God is amazing and all-powerful. He does what He pleases, who can ask God, "What do you think you are doing?" Job understands that he cannot approach God on his own righteousness, but only on the basis of God's mercy.

My favorite line..."If it is a contest of strength, behold, he is mighty!" ...well, duh!

And this is a close second... "though I am blameless, he would prove me perverse." So what I call blameless, still stands as a sinner before a Holy God. Yes, Amen, there is no one righteous.

Job states in several ways, that though we may be blameless or though we may be sinners, we all fall short when standing before God, and whatever God brings our way, He is just in doing. Its not that Job enjoys this. In fact, I would say he thinks it sucks, but it is truth.

Yes, God makes us like clay, and can return us to dust! He is the creator, and had all rights and power. If I make a bowl out of clay, I can do as I please with it. I can fire it in the oven, smash it and start over, or fire it and then smash it. I own the clay, it has no say in the matter.

I believe that God is sovereign. He is an all-powerful creator, and any hope that I have is based on His mercy and grace, and not upon my righteousness or effort. That is why I love Him. It is not what I do to deserve His blessing, but it is His granting me, a sinner, grace that brings out my love for Him.

Go Job, tell them like it is!

No comments: