Friday, November 2, 2012

These Guys Won't Stop

Chapter 15 of Job

Eliphaz starts our Chapter 15 with more verbal sparring, calling Job's thoughts "empty notions" and referring to the "hot east wind." Nice friends. In verse 5, he basically says Job's words are directed by his sin, and that he is like a used car salesman. Where can I get that evangelism course?

He really comes up with no new wisdom, just more condemnation and telling Job that he should listen to him. At times, it almost reminds me of a political debate. No substance, just a lot of show, and no one is coming with an open mind, no one listens to the other, they just draw lines in the sand and dare the other to cross it. Also kinda sounds like some churches I have been to.

I love Job's response in Chapter 16. "You are miserable comforters, all of you." Tell them how you really feel Job!

Job goes on to talk about how God must be angry at him, and how his trials are directly attributed to God.Oh that someone would step up and plead his case for him! As I read this, I wonder if many of the feelings he expresses are the feelings that Christ, the only truly righteous one, felt as he suffered on our behalf.

And then there are verses 11 and 12 of Chapter 17: "My days have passed, my plans are shattered. Yet the desires of my heart turn night into day;  in the face of the darkness light is near." Where is that coming from? Does Job know something no one else knows? Does he have a hope that goes beyond his current circumstance?

No comments: