Friday, September 20, 2013

Tired of the hype - looking for hope.

Like Christless Christianity, this book is written for a wide audience of Christians who are burned out on hype and are looking for hope. (Introduction)

That's me, tired of the hype. I no longer believe that we do people justice when we try to attract people to the church, rather than attract them to Jesus. I am not against good music, energetic preaching, good programs, etc. It is just that so often the means of our worship becomes an end in itself.

Somewhere along the way, I discovered something was missing. Jesus. We had gotten so intent on drawing people to church, that we forgot about Jesus. We became so intent on having the outside of the cup look good, that we neglected the inside. We had become Marthas. We had become more concerned with making sure the housework was done, and we just don't have time to just sit at the master's feet.

To live a gospel driven life our eyes must be fixed on Jesus. Where is that in today's Christian culture? Where is the church that simply says, "We love Jesus?" Instead, we promote our children's program or a particular ministry, or our kickin' worship band, great preaching, etc. And people can walk in and walk out without experiencing what it means to come face to face with Christ.

I understand the disconnect. I just don't believe it anymore. I just can't practice it anymore. And that usually ends up getting me into trouble.

2 comments:

kc bob said...

I resonate with you on this Don. I think that you might enjoy reding "Speaking of Jesus: The Art of Not-Evangelism" by Carl Medearis.

Don G said...

Thanks for the suggestion. I have ordered it for my Kindle.