Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Choose carefully

we must be careful not to teach people unintentionally that the Christian faith is about our personal resolve and commitments.

Chandler, Matt; Geiger, Eric; Patterson, Josh (2013-11-26). Creature of the Word: The Jesus-Centered Church (Kindle Locations 719-720). B&H Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. 

I sometimes just think that I need to try harder. That is when I seem to get into the most trouble, and when I
am farthest from God.

When I think I need to tr harder, I remove myself from the gospel and from Christ. I need to depend on Him, on His grace. Not using that grace as an excuse to not try, but seeing His grace more clearly (which means seeing my sin more clearly too) and becoming motivated by grace to love and serve Him more completely.

Self motivation is a whip. It is a cruel master whom I will despise. Grace is a cup of cold water on a hot and sweaty day. It is an undeserved treat when I have failed time and again.

Grace is the the lamp that must lead me. And God's word teaches me about grace.

No comments: