Sunday, September 6, 2020

1 Thess 4:13-18

SCRIPTURE

But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep. For this we declare to you by a word from the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord. Therefore encourage one another with these words.

COMMENT

I want to start at the end, where Paul says, Therefore encourage one another with these words." What words in particular. Is it the idea that we should not grieve as others who have no hope?? Is it that the dead in Christ will rise first? Or is it the idea that we will meet the Lord, and so always be with Him? 

I believe that you answer will depend in part at least on your theology. What does it mean to be a Christian? Is it just someone who hopes to go to heaven? Does being a Christian mean that you have a better life on earth? Does it mean that we should not deal with grief?

To me, there is only one "best" answer. The answer that we will ALWAYS be with the Lord. Do I hope to be reunited with family and friends someday in heaven? Absolutely. But if that is my main thought, then what about Jesus? Shouldn't my main thought be to someday be with Him? Family and friends have let me down from time to time, but His love has never failed me, and never will. Not even when I have failed him. Yes, it would be neat to see mom and dad again, but shouldn't my first thought be to run into the arms of a Savior who has loved me without fail and has provided me with a way to get salvation? I'm sure that mom and dad won't mind.



 


No comments: