Saturday, February 6, 2021

Amos 9 - A Happy Ending?

Amos - Chapter 9

We all like and want happy endings. Hard to believe Rocky lost to Apollo in Rocky I. So many are still waiting for the hammer to fall, and the corruption to be exposed in Washington. Good luck, and I hope it happens, but not holding my breath. All things come in God's timing, and not mine. 

Chapter 9 starts out great, with the guilty getting what they deserve. There is no escape. Their power and wealth do nothing to save them. There is no where they can go to hide from God's justice. Vs 4 states, "and I will fix my eyes upon them for evil and not for good." (The word evil can also be translated "harm, adversity, affliction) The next section speaks of the greatness and the might of God Almighty. Then a promise is made. A very near and dear promise. Vs 8: "Behold, the eyes of the Lord God are upon the sinful kingdom, and I will destroy it from the surface of the ground, except that I will not utterly destroy the house of Jacob,” declares the Lord." Jacob would not be utterly destroyed. There will be a restoration of a remnant. Most likely a remnant that has been through it all. A remnant that, while not utterly destroyed, has suffered and is broken. A remnant that has survived, and will see the fruit of their faithfulness. Like in so many movies, a remnant that will rise out of the ashes, to victory. I am reminded of the Princess Bride, and all that Wesley suffered including being "mostly dead." Yet in the end, they ride of on horses to a new and better life, while Prince Humperdinck does not die, but must live out his life in the shame of his cowardice.

I pray to be a part of the remnant. Not the one in the Princess Bride, but the remnant of the faithful.

No comments: