Thursday, December 13, 2012

I'll pick Jesus

Galatians 1:10

For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.

 Paul makes an interesting statement here when he says, "If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ." I think it is more what he doesn't say that strikes me. He does not say that by preaching Christ, or calling himself a Christian, he would be rejected by man. He says that by seeking man's approval he would no longer be a servant of Christ. I think that there are so many who are working to do both, and sometimes just the former. Paul was not interested in that. If he were, he wouldn't have confronted the Galatians regarding their straying from the heart of the gospel.

So for those who seek to keep the peace, because so-and-so is a major contributor, or they volunteer in so many places, etc., does that peace keeping show you to be a servant of Christ? I am not saying that Christians should always be confrontational, but there does seem to be a time and a place to do so. 

And one of the sad things is, we often get it backwards. We are so ready to stand up and confront the world, to purge the world of sin, but when did God commission us to purge the world of sin? I was of the understanding that God called us to make disciples. We are willing to make enemies in the world in order to appease those in the church, when Jesus was always willing to make friends in the world while not caring if a few religious leaders or even disciples were bothered in the process.

Hmmm...who do I want to be like?

No comments: