Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Go down two blocks, then take a left.

"What I need first of all is not exhortation, but a gospel, not directions for saving myself but knowledge of how God has saved me. Have you any good news? That is the question that I ask of you. I know your exhortations will not help me. But if anything has been done to save me, will you not tell me the facts?"'

Michael Horton. Christless Christianity: The Alternative Gospel of the American Church (p. 104). Kindle Edition.

I once asked a preacher why he was always telling people what to do or how to live. He replied that the Bible is full of such admonitions. And while that point is true, those admonitions are usually or maybe even always preceded by a gospel declaration, something that was not present in his preaching.

Michael hits pretty hard on Joel Osteen in his book in a few places, but rightfully so in my opinion. I guess it boils down to whether you believe the gospel is about your best life now or the best God of the universe. While I believe that God wants what is best for us, I don't believe it looks like what Mr. Osteen often promises.


No comments: