Sunday, November 17, 2013

Not a damn thing.

There are half-truths in all of these pleas, but they never really bring hearers face-to-face with their real problem: that they stand naked and ashamed before a holy God and can only be acceptably clothed in his presence by being clothed, head to toe, in Christ's righteousness.

Michael Horton. Christless Christianity: The Alternative Gospel of the American Church (pp. 73-74). Kindle Edition.

Our best efforts cannot satisfy God's Justice. Yet the good news is that God has satisfied his own justice and reconciled us to himself through the life, death, and resurrection of his Son. God's holy law can no longer condemn us because we are in Christ.

Michael Horton. Christless Christianity: The Alternative Gospel of the American Church (p. 91). Kindle Edition.

What do I hope to get by serving God? Not a damn thing that I don't already have. My righteous acts are but filthy rags before Him. I don't do it because of what I will get, I do it because of what I already got. (My apologies to those who are offended by my grammar.)

No comments: