Monday, February 21, 2022

Take Away - SOM 1

 I am still processing the Sermon on the Mount. I have gone through the 25 posts and edited them for clarity and to revisit them for myself. Now I want to look at the applications I should be making for myself.

SOM Part 1

In order to do this, I think it is best if I put myself in the shoes of the listeners. Both groups, the Jewish leaders and the common Jews had a certain blindness going on. They had settled in to a groove. A routine. Perhaps without even knowing it, they just followed a pattern of life. The leaders led because that is the way God designed it, right? And the people followed and trusted the leaders because that was what had always been done. Anyone who questioned them was looked upon with disdain. This is what religion had become, and to quote what I said earlier, it was cold, calculated, and done in a manner that kept those in control in control. Now it would be easy here to point fingers, but I want to take away regarding my behavior. How should this impact me?

First, I will put myself in the role of the leader. They were arrogant because they thought they had the answers. Ouch. I need to humble myself and realize that my answers may not be the right answers. My way of doing or thinking or believing might not be the way God really intended things to work. Humility. Surrender. More humility. The realization that I am not and should not be in control of anyone but myself. It is more than enough work just doing that. Not that I can't share my thoughts, beliefs, etc., but not in a way that dictates for others. Sharing is good, but no one responds well to being told what to do or how to live. It is not usually a good thing when others put me on a pedestal, but it is worse when I do it myself. The leaders then separated themselves. This seems a logical thing when you see the mindset they had. But it is not a Biblical thing. We are all sinners, and there is no degree to which we can lay a claim so that we can put ourselves above others. Paul saw himself as the worst sinner there was. (1 Timothy 1:15) Perhaps this is because Paul also saw the depth and beauty of God's grace like no one else. (Romans 11:33-36) I believe that there is a good reason that the terms "servant leader" exists for those who follow Christ. I need to make sure that whenever I am in a role where I have any leadership, it is approached with a servant's heart. 

Second, I will put myself in the role of the common Jew. One of the problems that they had was they were depending on others for their spirituality. They looked to the human leaders as their source of wisdom and instruction rather than God. Not that we shouldn't honor and respect those in leadership positions, but to blindly follow someone because they claim to be a leader of God is also a dangerous thing. I must realize that I am responsible for my relationship with God, and that just going to church, or listening to some preacher, or whatever else I might be doing to put the burden of my walk with God on someone else does not work. "But let each one test his own work, and then his reason to boast will be in himself alone and not in his neighbor. For each will have to bear his own load." (Galatians 6:4,5)

As I settle into my pew, ready to listen to a sermon from the Master, I have to begin by asking myself, "Why an I here?" Am I here to hear what others need to do, and then go out and make sure that they do it? Am I hear to be told what to do so that I don't have to wrestle for myself? Or am I here to listen to what God would tell me with an open mind? Am I willing to lay down my preconceptions and look in the mirror with an honest and open mind? Real church is about to start.

No comments: