Sunday, February 27, 2022

Take Away - SOM 6

I am still processing the Sermon on the Mount. I have gone through the 25 posts and edited them for clarity and to revisit them for myself. Now I want to look at the applications I should be making for myself.

SOM Part 6

I recently saw this posted on Facebook in a group. 


Then in the comments, I read this from a pastor:


While I might not have posted the original meme myself, the response has me scratching my head. Are we that "seeker friendly" that we are worried about what the unchurched will think about what the Bible labels as sin? I don't think we need to worry about offending the woke and unchurched, they can find plenty to criticize on their own. I should not be living in fear of saying what I believe to be true because it might offend. Jesus didn't. In fact, He took things even farther, in His very first sermon He equates murder with just being angry (Matthew 5:21-22), says that anyone who divorces his wife makes her commit adultery (Matthew 5:32), tells us to love rather than hate our enemies (Matthew 5:44), and more. Are we so worried about growing the church that we will just ignore or water down the Gospel to get people in the door? And then once inside, do we preach the truth to them? I think a  post like this will offend some, maybe many. But it might also drive some to see their sin and in turn their need for what Jesus has to offer, which is not "your best life now," but salvation. The response, "Why even post this? I think in some form we have all committed most of these acts." leads me to believe that the person who responded wants to downplay or ignore sin, rather than discuss or deal with it. Perhaps the original poster of the meme had the intention of showing that homosexuals are not the only sinners, and we all need Jesus. But who am I to judge? That would be wrong of me, wouldn't it?

Which is a perfect lead in to SOM Part 6. “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. “Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account.  Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you." (Matthew 5:10-12)

In the original post, I concluded that the persecution would come both from within and outside of the church. Is the above an example of persecution from within the church, to criticize a brother for calling out what they perceive the Scripture to state about sin? I am not sure, but I do believe that it could be. I have seen worse.

Take Away: Persecution is coming, that is if we believe the Scriptures to be true, and I do believe this. When and how severe, I cannot say. In many places it is happening and it is severe. If and when I do experience it, will I see myself as blessed, happy, or content? Would I be able to be like Paul, instead of singing in the rain he was singing in the chains. (Acts 16:25) I would like to believe that I would.





No comments: