Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Take Away - SOM Part 25

Original post here.

Matthew 7:28-29

And when Jesus finished these sayings, the crowds were astonished at his teaching, for he was teaching them as one who had authority, and not as their scribes.

I don't recall hearing this verse quoted very often, but I think it is significant in light to what was said in this message. I think that today, we have a lot of people who are astonished when the hear a (their) preacher, but that is in a very different context. I think a lot of today's preaching is distant from the gospel, so when one hears their message and is astonished, and perhaps thinks that "I didn't know that," it is because it was not true. I hate to say it, but most Christians that I have encountered are extremely Bible illiterate. I recall doing a game show night once and surveying the members before hand. One of the questions that sticks with me was, "Name a King in the Old Testament." Number one answer? King James. I guess that makes them illiterate in Church history as well.

This teaching was different. It was not designed to get someone to respond to an invitation. It was not manipulative. It was not done in the tone and manner of the current teachers. At times, it was almost as if Jesus said offensive things, things that might drive away followers, just because it was truth. Imagine truth taking precedence over Church growth. 

Yet I do not believe it was the purpose of Jesus to offend. He just loved God and the truth more than He loved the praise of men. 

Take Away: I need to be aware of what I listen to when it comes to preaching, or what I read when it comes to books, what I listen to in terms of music, etc. Just because it comes from a popular Christian preacher, author, or musician does not mean that it is truth or gospel. Like the Bereans, I need to take what is said and compare it to the Word of God. (Acts 17:11) Even if it offends the source, or maybe especially if it offends the source.

No comments: