Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Raising the Bar 2...Matthew 5:27-30

SCRIPTURE


COMMENTS

Yesterday we saw the idea of how Jesus does not erase the things of the law we would do to be a Christian, He actually raises the bar. He does this to show us that we are sinners in need of a Savior. Today, He does it again using the idea of lust.

The 10 commandments say that "You shall not commit adultery." (Exodus 20:14) Jesus says that to look at a woman with lustful intent, and you have committed adultery. This puts forth the idea that to think about doing something is the same as doing it in God's eyes. See a woman walking down the street. Thinking thoughts that are not pure? Boom! You're a sinner. Get back too much change from the cashier, hesitating about what to do? Thanking about pocketing that cash? Boom! You're a sinner. Hit your thumb with a hammer. Thinking about which words to express your feelings? Some of them involve using God's name in a less than complimentary way? Boom! You're a sinner. I think you get the idea. 

How close do we want to live to sin, without crossing the line? Let me illustrate it this way, a dating couple might ask, "How far can we go before it is a sin?" This is the mindset that looks to know how close we can legally live to the fine line of purity before we are over that line. And Jesus says, "You have already crossed the line." Boom! You're a sinner.

Jesus is not just showing us that we are sinners in need of a Savior, He is showing us what repentance is. To repent means to change your direction. Headed to the liquor store for a bottle? Turn around and go the other way. Only He takes it even farther. Reaching for the bottle in the cabinet? Stop! Cut of your hand if need be. Looking at the woman and thinking impure thoughts? Stop! And gouge out your right eye if you have to. 

So here's a problem I have: If I cut off my right hand, my left might still be able to do the job. If I cut out my right eye, my left might take over. So what do we do? I don't think cutting off my hand or gouging out my eye is the answer. I think the answer again lies with having a pure heart, considering myself blessed when others persecute me. I am a sinner, and seeing myself as such, know my need for a Savior. but not only do I need a Savior, once I see Jesus as my Savior, once I see God as providing a Savior, my life changes. It's called repentance. Being born again. And then, Boom! You're not a sinner.

No comments: