Friday, February 28, 2020

The Golden Rule - Matthew 7:12-14

SCRIPTURE

Matthew 7:12-14
"So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.
"Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few."


LANGUAGE

Vs 12  Wish θέλω thelō; to determine, choose or prefer (literally or figuratively); by implication, to wish, i.e. be inclined to (sometimes adverbially, gladly); impersonally for the future tense, to be about to; by Hebraism, to delight in: — desire, be disposed (forward), intend, list, love, mean, please, have rather, (be) will (have, -ling, - ling(-ly)).

COMMENTS

This is so not us. I was walking out of the store today, and someone called out, "Sir!" I looked to see someone picking up some money. I immediately thought, "Do they think that is mine?" I even checked my pockets as if to see if there was money missing, but I had paid by credit card and had no cash in my pockets. Just wishful thinking. Turned out that the money belonged to the one picking it up, and another person thought I might have dropped it.

But there was that immediate reaction I had, was the money mine? Had I dropped some and did not even recognize it. It was only a few dollars, but would I have taken it if offered?

Do what you wish (desire) others would to do for you. The person who saw the money fall did that. Rather than try to pick it up, she got my attention before I walked out the door. Did she have a moment of temptation to grab it for herself? This is so not most people. But again, it speaks to the kind of person Jesus was talking about in the beginning of the Sermon on the Mount. The humble, righteousness loving, God pursuing person. Looking out for the good of others because I would hope that others are looking out for the good of me. Its a narrow road. Its a small percentage of people who actually get and live this. That is what Jesus is saying. The other gate, the gate that takes the money, that looks for its own good, that road is wide and easy. But the destination is not our destination.

If you want to get to your destination, you have to take the road that leads you there, and not necessarily the road that is the smoothest, prettiest, or widest.

SIDE NOTE

Ever see the Seinfeld episode where Kramer is taking care of a section of the highway? So one thing he does is to take the four lane road, and paint out some of the lines to make it a two lane road, where the lanes are wide and luxurious. Imagine the chaos when all of a sudden 4 lanes are down to 2. Maybe that is part of the danger of the wide road. Yes, there is more room, but you are sharing it with more people. And maybe some shady ones at that.

No comments: