Monday, March 14, 2022

Take Away - SOM 11

I am still processing the Sermon on the Mount. I have gone through the 25 posts and edited them for clarity and to revisit them for myself. Now I want to look at the applications I should be making for myself.

SOM - Part 11

In the verses covered in this post Jesus continues with the idea of taking the lines that have been drawn by man and extending them farther, to reveal more of God's intention. God's intention was not to solely modify, correct, or cause only a certain behavior. What God desires goes beyond the behavior. God desires relationship, just as we do. I see it like this, when I ask my children to do something, I expect that it will get done. Sometimes it does, sometimes it does not. Yes, I get frustrated when things don't get done in the manner or timeframe that I anticipate. Sometimes I need to give reminders. Sometimes a consequence is called for. Sometimes I just have to let it go. But even when things get done, there is a way of that happening that is pleasing and a way that is not. If there is grumbling and complaining going on the whole time, and I hear how unjust I am or how unfair this is, while the job gets done, it is not very pleasing. But if the job is done with joy, if the response is quick and appreciation is shown because my children know and understand that I too make sacrifices for them, them I take great satisfaction in that moment. That is where the ideas that comes in verses 39-42 come in to play. You see, when my children know and understand what I do for them and show appreciation, that not only speaks volumes to me but also to anyone else who would witness their effort. We turn the other cheek, we share our tunic and cloak, we go the extra mile because we know and understand the depth of God's love for us, and while I believe that He appreciates that, it also becomes a beacon of God's love for those who strike the turned cheek, who receive the cloak and tunic, who have their burden shared for another mile. Those types of behaviors are not the norm, so they stand out. Why would someone do such a thing? Because someone even greater has done so much for them! 

Take Away: To appreciate God is to become a witness for God, to be a light in the darkness, to be salt. To not appreciate God is to not be a witness, to be in darkness, to be unfit, only to be scattered on the path and walked on. God does not desire our appreciation because He needs it. We need it. We need to appreciate Him so that we do not live in bitterness and darkness. To think that the God of the universe is somehow going to have a bad day if I, one of billions on the earth, do not praise Him is to have a selfish and inaccurate view of God. To return to the analogy from before, when my children do what I ask of them, and do it with appreciation, it is not only something that brings joy to me, but it is something that makes their lives better too. Just like the guy who loves what he does for a living will have a better day that the one who despises what they do. Both may get the job done, but what a blessing to spend the day loving it! So even in my praise of God, there is an element where I get something out of it too. That's because God is a good God, and anyone who would tell you differently only has eyes for themselves.

No comments: