Friday, March 25, 2022

Take Away - SOM Part 18

 I am still processing the Sermon on the Mount. I have gone through the 25 posts and edited them for clarity and to revisit them for myself. Now I want to look at the applications I should be making for myself.

SOM - Part 18

Jesus teaches us to not be anxious about life, etc. Ever try that? Ever try not to worry about something? Is that even something that can humanly be done? Jesus gives the birds as an example. They don't worry about where their next meal will come from. Flowers do not worry about what they will wear. So stop worrying. 

But I am not a bird or a flower. So how do I do this? Jesus gives some answers. One has to do with your focus. He speaks of the Gentiles and they pursue or focus on, What shall I eat today, or What shall I wear? In other words their focus feeds into their worry about these things. So Jesus says seek first the kingdom. In other words, change your focus to your Heavenly Father who cares for you, and you will be given what you need. What you need. Not whatever you want. What you need.

There are a lot of things we could worry about. World politics, inflation, the weather, our children, our jobs, the list goes on. Truth be told, I doubt we can ever completely remove ourselves from some level of concern regarding these types of things. 

Things changed for me when my parents died. As long as they were alive, I knew they had my back. Whatever situation I might find myself in, I knew that there was someone who would help me out if I needed it, I would not even have to ask. But when they were gone, it was now up to me. I felt the pressure. But what I finally realized was I have another advocate. My heavenly Father. He does care for me.

In the Psalms it says, “Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!” (Psalm 46:10) Be still could also be translated as "relax," so I see this verse as saying, "relax, know that I am God, and I don't fail. I got this. I will be exalted in all of the universe, so there is no need to be anxious"

Take Away: I don't know of anyone who can honestly say that they just stopped having anxiety. I know of some who struggle with issues that makes overcoming anxiety extremely difficult for them. I think we will all have some level of anxiety throughout life. The point being that to lessen anxiety we must increase trust. Again, it seems to boil down to our approach to our relationship with God. Are we working hard because we want to earn His favor, or is our response one of realizing He cares for us, and then responding to that knowledge with a life that is now guided by that realization. I hate to spoil what is coming, but isn't that the whole idea behind the wise and foolish builders?

No comments: