Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Take Away - SOM 9

I am still processing the Sermon on the Mount. I have gone through the 25 posts and edited them for clarity and to revisit them for myself. Now I want to look at the applications I should be making for myself.

SOM - Part 9

As I reread SOM Part 9. I am struck by the idea that some men would thin that they can achieve salvation on the heels of someone else, through another imperfect human being, and that some men would gladly fill that role. Are the Jewish leaders and their follower really that different than the way that Catholics practice their faith? Maybe I don't need to go there today, but it reinforces to me the idea that people will believe what they want to believe rather than to pursue truth.

I keep thinking about the fact that Jesus did not come to bring some new teaching, but certainly was bringing a different teaching, a different way to approach God. A way that took out the middle men and paved a pathway for all people to approach the throne of God. No wonder the leaders hated him so much.

In these verses it seems that Jesus is not attacking the law, but rather the way that we approach the law. The law does not save, it reveals our failure and need for someone to save us. Jesus seems to be saying in these verses, the law is not the problem, a corrupt heart is the problem. You think murder is bad? Well, yes, it is. But so is the unrighteous anger, you know, the thing that caused you to want to commit that murder in the first place. 

Take Away: My main take away for today is just about seeking the truth. It is so easy to accept another's version of the truth. Follow the law, tithe, have more faith, God wants you to be happy and have it all, say 5 Hail Marys and 3 Our Fathers and 1 rosary, or whatever you want to believe because it eases your conscience and avoids struggle and pain. Truth can be painful, but it still must be pursued. I need to pursue truth. A part of the truth is that yes, murder is wrong (easy part, since I have not murdered anyone), but so is anger. That is tougher to deal with, but for today, it is something I must wrestle with. Lord, help me as I deal with my unrighteousness, and as I learn what it means to accept and live in your righteousness.

No comments: