Friday, August 16, 2019

Shhh...that might offend someone.

I am currently reading the book, Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges.


In chapter 2, he sets the premise that sin is not something that is discussed anymore by the average church goer, and perhaps something that is not even a issue for them. 

But why? He gives this premise in the book, "It may have been softened in many of our churches so as not to make the audiences uncomfortable." (Bridges, Jerry. Respectable Sins (p. 12). NavPress. Kindle Edition.) I couldn't agree more. As one who has sat in on numerous committee meetings, the common theme is, "What can we do to make our church more attractive to others?" Bigger buildings, gyms, coffee bars, that what we need. What can we get rid of? Fire and brimstone, boring hymns, and lets stop mentioning sin. But there is an axiom I have often heard, "You win people to what you win them with." I doubt many Christians today could even articulate what the gospel truly is.

Of course, I think that some of the judgmental finger-pointing of some churches and Christians contributes to this idea. Picketing or even bombing abortion clinics is just one example that comes to mind. We want to show that we are accepting, although at times even that has it limits. Again, I believe that we tend to be more tolerant of this sins we might be guilty of, or the "Respectable Sins," than of those that would offend us.

The author states that this is a dark picture. I agree. Jesus said, "Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?" Luke (18:8b). My fear is that there are many in the church who are there for the wrong reasons, because they have been won through the wrong methods. If we don't believe in our own sinfulness, do we really have the faith that saves us?

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’ (Matthew 7:21-23)


No comments: