Monday, August 12, 2019

I'm looking for a cheap insurance policy.

Saw this on Facebook today. People are encouraged to copy and post.

I want to say something about Christianity. If you don't believe in Jesus Christ, that's your choice! But why is it so important for many to mock those of us who do? If we're wrong, what have we lost when we die? Nothing! How does our faith in Jesus Christ bring others any harm? You think it makes me dumb? Gullible? Ignorant? That's okay. How does that affect you? But if you're wrong, your consequence is far worse. I would rather live my life believing in God and serving Him, and find out I was right, than not believe in Him and not serve Him, and find out I was wrong. Then it's too late. Ain't no shame in my game! I believe in Jesus Christ! He has been so good to me!! So it's kind of an insurance policy for the afterlife.
Here's my challenge:
If you're not ashamed of being a Christian, copy & paste this.



Belief is a choice for some, but is it a choice for all? Did Pharaoh have a choice, or did God raise him up for a purpose. Did God harden his heart, or did he harden his own heart? There are those on both sides of that discussion. But why are Christians mocked? I believe there are multiple answers to that question. One is that faith in Jesus has brought harm to others. Ever heard of the Crusades? Or what about those who do not believe in getting medical treatment because of faith. Or what of acts of hatred and bigotry against gays or any other group that is "living in sin." (It is so much easier to point out the obvious sins of others rather than deal with my own imperfection (sin). Another is the discomfort many have when having to deal with their sin (I believe it is called a conscience). Didn't Jesus say, "Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. And a person's enemies will be those of his own household." That sounds a little problematic and hurtful to me.

I don't believe that your faith makes you dumb, but it does make you a hypocrite. But only because we are all hypocrites when it comes down to it. Some worse than others. And again, this becomes something that those outside of Christ quickly recognize (their turn to point out our sin, rather than deal with their own. I call it the log and speck syndrome. Christians are not the only ones susceptible to the disease.)

I do not think those who believe are dumb, gullible, ignorant, etc., but I do believe that many who look to Christianity only as fire insurance are. The post states, "If we're wrong, what have we lost when we die?" To me, a lot. I have altered the way that I live my life because of my faith. I have given up things that other than my faith, I might not have given up. Only God knows how my life would have been different without faith. I believe Paul echoes this thought in 1 Cor. 15:19 when he states, "If in Christ we have hope in this life only, we are of all people most to be pitied." If ever anyone altered his life for his faith, it was Paul.

I think that sharing faith as an "insurance policy for the afterlife" presents a wrong picture of saving faith to those who do not believe. Is this saving faith? I will say that I believe so that if there is a God he will take me into his kingdom? Would those who hold to this model of belief be interested in and able to pick up their cross and follow him? Is this the faith that Jesus proclaimed and died for? I personally don't think so.

Sorry, but I cannot accept your invitation to copy and paste. Not because I am ashamed of my faith in Christ, but because such a post does not reflect what I believe about faith.

No comments: