Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Self Control

I am currently reading the book, Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges.

Chapter 13 - Self Control

What role does self control play in the life of the Christian? Aren't we supposed to let God be in control of all things? I that is completely true, then why is self-control on of the fruit of the Spirit? (Galatians 5:23) Why is Titus told to tech self control? (Titus 2:2,5,6)

But I thought that God would free me from temptations and take my sinful urges from me. But that has not completely worked yet, at least for me. I think of my experience with AA and the 12 steps. While working in ministry I was invited to attend some meetings and exposed to their program. One of their sayings in reference to the programs goes something like this, "Keep working it (the steps, the program), it works if you work it." I have talked to folks involved in the program. Some will say that the desire to drink has passed from them. Others still struggle. Same with some Christians. I recall talking to one man who was sharing that he used to have a foul mouth, but one day God took that from him. No more desire to curse. Does that mean he lived a sin-free life from that point? No. God does play a part. But we do too. And for those sins that God does not remove from us, we must exercise some level of self control. I believe it is called sanctification.

This self-control is dependent on the influence and enablement of the Holy Spirit. It requires continual exposure of our mind to the words of God and continual prayer for the Holy Spirit to give us both the desire and power to exercise self-control. We might say that self-control is not control by oneself through one’s own willpower but rather control of oneself through the power of the Holy Spirit.  Bridges, Jerry. Respectable Sins (p. 107). NavPress. Kindle Edition. 

So our struggles are not without purpose. It would seem that they are there to ground us in our faith, and it in our dependence on God, His Spirit, and His word. 

No comments: