Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Be Like Me (Galatians 4:12-14)

SCRIPTURE

Galatians 4:12-14
Brothers, I entreat you, become as I am, for I also have become as you are. You did me no wrong. You know it was because of a bodily ailment that I preached the gospel to you at first, and though my condition was a trial to you, you did not scorn or despise me, but received me as an angel of God, as Christ Jesus.
What then has become of your blessedness? For I testify to you that, if possible, you would have gouged out your eyes and given them to me. Have I then become your enemy by telling you the truth? They make much of you, but for no good purpose. They want to shut you out, that you may make much of them. It is always good to be made much of for a good purpose, and not only when I am present with you, my little children, for whom I am again in the anguish of childbirth until Christ is formed in you! I wish I could be present with you now and change my tone, for I am perplexed about you.

COMMENT

Paul starts this section off with an interesting request, that the Galatians be like him. Knowing Paul, I do not believe that this is stated in a proud or authoritarian way, but rather humbly. Be a follower of Christ and not the law, be saved, be confident in Christ. Then he also states that he has become like them. Perhaps he means that he has tried to put himself in their shoes? Perhaps he is talking about the fact that he also was once a follower of the law, and is now a follower of Christ?

The Galatians are near and dear to Paul. He has genuine affection and connection with them. When he first preached to them, he was ill, yet they did not see his illness as a burden, but praised God for his teaching. They exhibited a true spirit of Jesus. But things seem to be changing. Why? Because of the ones who would enslave them under the law again.

I think this shows how the gospel message is not just a means justification, but also a means of sanctification. In other words, it is not just something we need to hear once to get saved, but it is something we need to hear constantly to grow in our faith. Paul was somewhat unique in that he had this physical ailment that always reminded him of his dependence on Christ, perhaps even of the day and means of his salvation on the road to Damascus. The gospel and grace of God were with him in his affliction. He knew it slowed him down, but God knew he needed it. God knew His grace was sufficient for Paul. And so did Paul. 

No comments: