Sunday, May 10, 2020

What Is the Difference? (Matthew 25:31-46)

SCRIPTURE


COMMENT

The question I want to tackle today is, what is the difference? What is it about the first group group that is so different than the second? On the surface, it is a issue of works. The first group gave food, drink, and time in visiting the sick and those in prison. So works is what get us into heaven, right? Well, if you have read this blog before, you know that I do not believe that. I thin there is a deeper difference, and it is in the first groups response to the Son of Man. In verse 37, the first group ask, "when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?" You see, they did not do these things to impress Jesus or gain salvation, they did them because that is who they are. They had repented, turned to Jesus, saw Him as being of great value, and appreciated what He has done for them. In return, they led a changed life that not only saw Jesus as being of great value, but also saw their fellow man of being of value. Their life of service was an outflowing of their love of Christ.

When Jesus says, "For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me," they were not thinking of themselves or how they had treated others, they were likely thinking of how they could have possibly done those things for Jesus Himself, when they did not see Him. But Jesus is speaking of how they did those things for Him by doing them for others.

The second group wonders the same. How did they miss doing all of those things for Jesus? They never even saw Him. But He was there. There in each opportunity they passed by because they were only thinking of themselves. 

I want to see Jesus.

No comments: